7 Ways to Enjoy More Fruits and Veggies
March is National Nutrition Month and now is the perfect time to focus, or refocus, on healthy eating habits.
Whether a busy schedule has put your New Year’s resolutions on the back burner, or you simply want to start a healthy diet, we have 7 great and easy ways to add flavor, color, and vitamins and minerals to your daily regimen.
1. Skip the chips and dip during snack time. Elect for a healthy replacement with your favorite crunchy vegetables like cucumbers, carrots or bell-pepper slices. These are perfect to replace those unnecessary fats and starches, and we’ll even let you keep the dip!
2. We all love pizza and understand that giving this up is easier said than done. Replace those pepperonis and sausages with any vegetable of your choice. Peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and broccoli always make perfect, and healthy, additions.
3. Finished with your morning workout? Try a breakfast smoothie with almond milk, frozen fruit and a banana. Don’t worry; someone else will eat that donut.
4. Planning for a party but feel guilty about all the unhealthy sides? Add color and nutrition to any meal with grilled vegetable kabobs. Onions, tomatoes, squash and peppers will brighten your guests’ plates, and their diets.
5. If you are feeling tropical and want to sweeten up your next burger, try grilling a thick slice of pineapple to add to your patty. It’s best to grill fruit on low heat until it turns golden brown.
6. Fruit makes the best dessert. Pass up on the ice cream or chocolate for your favorite piece of fruit.
7. Bored of your scrambled eggs each morning? Dice up and throw your favorite vegetables in the mix and elect for a personalized omelet.