Creative Kabobs for a Summer BBQ
There’s nothing like firing up the barbecue for your 4th of July celebration! An easy way to grill a variety of meats and veggies quickly is to put together some shish kabobs. It’s also a healthier alternative to hot dogs and hamburgers, especially if you use proteins like salmon or mackerel (good sources of vitamin D), tofu (loaded with phosphorus, a mineral that protects tooth enamel), and lots of veggies. Here are some fun ways to assemble your holiday skewers.
Rosemary-Lime Salmon Kabobs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless wild salmon fillet, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Mix together garlic, rosemary, oil and lime juice. Pour the mixture over the salmon and veggies and let them marinate for 15-30 minutes. Alternate salmon and veggies on the skewer, then grill for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning the skewers once.
Teriyaki Tofu Kabobs
- 1 14-oz. package of firm or extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 whole medium mushrooms
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup teriyaki baste and glaze
Skewer the ingredients alternating tofu, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper and zucchini. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes, or until veggies are tender and crisp, turning skewers occasionally. Brush the tofu and veggies liberally with the teriyaki baste and glaze and cook for another few minutes until the glaze is set.
If you’re looking for a great, free fireworks show to watch this 4th of July, try one of these regional shows that are sure to be a blast:
- July 4th Celebration at the Pier (San Francisco, CA): This 25-minute display incorporates over 10,000 fireworks set against the backdrop of beautiful San Francisco. Bring your lawn chairs and stakeout a spot between Pier 39 and Aquatic Park. Show begins around 9:30pm. http://www.pier39.com/home/events/fourth-of-july-celebration-at-the-pier/
- Seafair Summer Fourth (Seattle, WA): This epic fireworks display closes out a day of fun at the Gas Works Park. Go early for food vendors, live entertainment, beer gardens and games. Catch the show from a boat on Lake Union or bring a blanket to Gas Works Park. Show begins at 10:15pm.
- Freedom Over Texas (Houston, TX): Everything is bigger in Texas, even their Fourth of July festivities. Freedom Over Texas is the largest land-based fireworks show in the US and is set to classic American rock ‘n roll tunes. Before the show, enjoy live county music or take the kids to the kids zone. The best views of the fireworks are from Eleanor Tinsley Park. Show starts around 9:30pm. http://www.houstontx.gov/july4/
- Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks (New York, New York): The Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks display is the largest in the country, featuring more than 40,000 fireworks, and is accompanied by the New York Pop Orchestra and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Arrive early to stake out a spot along West Side Highway below 59th Street. Show starts around 9:20pm. http://social.macys.com/fireworks/
- Boston Pops Concert Fireworks Spectacular (Boston, MA): Set to the 1812 Overture performed by Boston Pops, this fireworks display brings in a large crowd of over 500,000 visitors. The best viewing places are at the Oval along the Charles River, but you’ll need to get there early. The Oval usually reaches capacity by 2pm. Music starts at 8pm, the 1812 Overture starts at 9:30pm and fireworks begin at 10:30pm. http://www.july4th.org/